Monday 15 June 2009

In case of emergency do not engage brain.

There was quite a large queue at one point today, and lots off staff came to the tills to help clear it. Suddenly an alarm went off, it's one that's connected to the fire exits. If anyone leaves by going through the fire exit it usually means they have goods they are not wanting to pay for. It really is a very loud alarm, and quite piercing. A bunch of managers appeared and one entered a code to stop the noise. Less than a minute later it starts again. The woman I was serving tutted and said, "I can understand you need a fire alarm but does it really have to be so loud? It's really made me doubt whether I'll shop here again."

Really? Does she base her shopping decisions on what type of alarm various shops utilise? How very bizarre! I really struggled not to laugh. And I certainly didn't waste my breath explaining that it wasn't a fire alarm.

2 comments:

  1. I was in the University of Glasgow psychology building a few years ago when the fire alarm went off.
    Everyone poured out the building so that the narrow street in front was full of students and bleary-eyed lecturers still clutching their coffee mugs.
    The fire truck arrived. The firefighters entered the building. Minutes passed. One of the senior firefighters was standing patiently outside in his big yellow suit, keeping an eye on things.
    A lecturer suddenly trotted up to him, tutted and said: "Do they really have to be taking so long? I can't smell smoke."
    The firefighter frowned and said: "Would you like to go in and check? Then you can let us know. Would you like to? Would you?"
    The lecturer backed off, suitably chatised, and sipped his coffee grumpily near a hedge.

    ReplyDelete